Texarkana Municipal Building

 
Texarkana Arkansas Municipal Building

216 Walnut Street
Historic Downtown Texarkana, Arkansas
GPS Coordinates: 33°25'25"N, 94° 2'22"W

 municipal 

The Texarkana Arkansas Municipal Building was built between 1927 and 1930, and was designed by Witt, Seibert and Hasley with elements of Collegiate Gothic and Art Deco architectural styles. The building houses a large auditorium in the center, with city offices in one wing, and the main fire station in the other. The three reliefs on the auditorium side of the building represent "Civic Duty," "Justice," and ''Prosperity."  Some of the departments of the city include the City Manager, City Clerk, Finance Department, and Public Works Department. It also houses the city jail. The fire station and city hall are still active in the building.  In 2004, the Texarkana Arkansas Municipal Building was listed on the National Register of Historic Places.  Current efforts are underway to restore and reopen the auditorium.

  

This information is brought to you from the archives of the Texarkana Museums System and the vision of Mrs. Marguerite Hillier. Let us not forget her love of history, dedication to the education of future generations and great strides towards the betterment of our community.

Website by SchoolMessenger Presence. © 2019 West Corporation. All rights reserved.